PDA

View Full Version : Intel may bundle water cooling solution with Enthusiast Sandy Bridge

Vapor
22nd April 2011, 08:38 AM
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/coolers/display/20110421151218_Intel_Considers_to_Bundle_Liquid_Co oling_Solution_with_Next_Generation_Enthusiast_Pro cessors.html

Can anyone confirm this. Smart move if true.

22nd April 2011, 01:21 PM
If it ain't leaking water, it will be good for OEMs like Dell or HP for their boutique line, Alienware or VoodooDNA gaming systems.

It reads channel, and it doesn't mention anything about retail, though...

APU_Fusion
22nd April 2011, 02:16 PM
If it ain't leaking water, it will be good for OEMs like Dell or HP for their boutique line, Alienware or VoodooDNA gaming systems.

It reads channel, and it doesn't mention anything about retail, though...

Do you think this is purely a heat/marketing issue or do you think this is a reaction to Bulldozer :D ;)? I hope it is self contained as I would not be amused at a sprung leak in an OEM machine. I do have a Koolance system currently though and enjoy the benefits of water however.

22nd April 2011, 03:30 PM
One more bullet point is always better than one bullet point less. And then a chance to charge at a higher premium will help ASP, why go against the idea that could bring better numbers on the balance sheet? :rolleyes:

I really doubt Bulldozer was giving them pressure to go for this change, given there's basically zero gaming benchmark results leaked. And then, AMD could probably still giving the good ol' 4-heatpipe cooler to give the impression that, our latest FX processor is not hotter than Phenom II X6 processor.

Regenweald
22nd April 2011, 07:28 PM
Seems their marketing types are throwing anything out there now though. If this comes through, Asetek will probably be the big winner. I don't see coolit or Antec generating the needed bulk.

Jasn
22nd April 2011, 07:56 PM
I always buy OEM versions of CPUs - just a chip and nothing else, it's cheaper and keeps various junk like stock coolers from lying around useless.

Starglider
23rd April 2011, 05:15 AM
The comments about leaks are FUD. Self-assembled systems need proper care and leak testing, but these integrated solutions are sealed and no more likely to leak than a heatpipe or vapor chamber. Any initiative that moves the market away from direct air cooling, with all of its noise, dust, heat and case layout problems, is a good thing.

fusion
23rd April 2011, 08:20 AM
The comments about leaks are FUD. Self-assembled systems need proper care and leak testing, but these integrated solutions are sealed and no more likely to leak than a heatpipe or vapor chamber. Any initiative that moves the market away from direct air cooling, with all of its noise, dust, heat and case layout problems, is a good thing.

"Cheap" water cooling solutions have those exact same problems, and they still cost more than air cooling.

Breeze
23rd April 2011, 11:00 AM

They still have a radiator and a fan, so we still need to worry about dust. All the review sites show that those cheap watercooling systems are no better than their equally priced air cooling counter parts. I guess the only advantage is less noise.

23rd April 2011, 12:31 PM
The focus wasn't really about leaking water, quit nitpicking on my wording and quit "showing" me that I am WRONG, and learn to read the whole post.

Regenweald
24th April 2011, 09:57 AM
They still have a radiator and a fan, so we still need to worry about dust. All the review sites show that those cheap watercooling systems are no better than their equally priced air cooling counter parts. I guess the only advantage is less noise.

Noctua and Thermalright certainly do beat the existing closed loops, but my main sway with these water cooled systems is me not strapping close to, or over a kilogram of metal to my motherboard to cool my cpu with gravity ever present. Closed loops put the bulk of the weight where it should be, on the case.

WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux