SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Misc Technology

Misc Technology Other technology related discussions

Old 08-26-2009, 04:33 AM
itanic

aka47 is on a distinguished road

yes, high energy and since we do not really know how or why do quantum mechanics work the way it works we must explore further to discover new / confirm or discard laws of physics.

Lately we thought that electrons are undivisable but they are and we can. LHC like machines are foundation fo future discoveries. There is still much to be learned.

With ever smaller transistors, whole thing becomes quantum problematic. Nanoscale has its own rules. We'd better know them..

4nm if possible at all (let's assume it is , since a lot of things seemed to be impossible and yet they are) i'd bet on 2050+

I'd reckon for that small process some nanomachines or dna like. I dont think `conventional` methods would work...

Last edited by aka47; 08-26-2009 at 04:53 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:54 AM
2^10

MTd2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka47 View Post
Lately we thought that electrons are undivisable but they are and we can. LHC like machines are foundation fo future discoveries. There is still much to be learned.
Even if that was true, and got stable particles, imagine the price of making and feeding your circuits with them!
Old 08-26-2009, 06:35 AM
itanic

unfortunetly I do not really remmeber the source as I go around many tech , physics and other related sites.
However it is not the point. I mean knowing is 1st step and another is knowing how to implement it and then doing it cost effectively.

1.Some time ago atom was indivisable. It turned out that it can be
2.On top of that it turn out that splitting an atom can produce energy.
3.Proper material for fission was found - Uranium
4.Weaponization
5.Refining process and commerzialization - nuclear power plants.

LHC is necessary for progress. For new things to be oberved you need to get a glance further than ever before.
It is a long process and sometimes links are not that obvious , but unless we discover 'new' physics, we will never reach the stars
Old 08-26-2009, 07:34 AM
2^10

But if you are talking about particles can could only be produced at LHC, you can be certain that they will be extremely heavy, thus, extremely unstable. If they are not unstable, you have to consider the reason why they are not found at all on earth, or at least why they are not detected, because, if they were stable, they'd be produce in the big bang or ins stellar process anyway. But I can tell you with confidence that LHC won't test quantum mechanics, because quantum mechanics is a theory about the nature of statistics of interactions. LHC will basically test the Standard Model, or try to extend it, that is, look for new particles in very high energy regimes.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:20 AM
>intel 4004

rich wargo will become famous soon enoughrich wargo will become famous soon enough

Like the theorized Higgs bosun.

BTW, I have a excess of Higgs bosuns, so if anyone needs some more, please apply here.
Oh, and everything I post in these or any other forums, or anywhere else online for that matter, is strictly my personal opinion. I do not represent anyone. Especially the alleged company of which I am no longer an alleged employee.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:37 AM
itanic

Smile tomato, tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTd2 View Post
But if you are talking about particles can could only be produced at LHC, you can be certain that they will be extremely heavy, thus, extremely unstable. If they are not unstable, you have to consider the reason why they are not found at all on earth, or at least why they are not detected, because, if they were stable, they'd be produce in the big bang or ins stellar process anyway. But I can tell you with confidence that LHC won't test quantum mechanics, because quantum mechanics is a theory about the nature of statistics of interactions. LHC will basically test the Standard Model, or try to extend it, that is, look for new particles in very high energy regimes.
Basicly, SM's particles do transmit forces right? anyhow I just wrote QM just to say that there is still much to be done on that field and better understanding of particles and its roles will help to answer a few questions.

Moreover it's not really about heaviest particles but rather what they are decaying into.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:55 AM
2^10

Yes, sure, but said decay particles should have been already seen, and relatively abundant on earth, if they were to be any useful to computers right now. The reason is simple, in that earth concentrates everything that interacts strongly with atoms and it is stable. Don't worry about LHC. Rather, look for materials science research.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:20 PM
itanic

You cannot state that there are all elemnts here on earth. Many are in a trace amounts. Safe to say , many minerals/elements could be found in metorites far easier rather than on earth.

The only way you produce elements heavier than Iron-56 is in Supernovae That's where all of the elements on Earth came from. But the supernova that gave rise to us must not have been powerful enough to make huge amounts of Plutonium. Since there are supernovae that are up to 100+ times more powerful than normal ones, there are explosions in the Universe that will produce large quantities of Plutonium or even higher atomic number.

Anyhow its misc technlogy here so it's irrelevant wheather LHC will bring progress to todays comuper's . I'd rahther say alternative computing e.g. quantum , optic computing or something else.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:20 PM
2^11

alvter will become famous soon enoughalvter will become famous soon enough

what if traditional computing does not exist when that date comes around?
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0806141508.htm

Also, the process does not seem to be slowing, and the advancement (shrink) is between 33% to 50% every two years... With the 50% being from 6nm to 4nm.

However, what do you think the capital investments will be for this? Is it feasible? Will the margins decrease? Increase? ROI? In the end, I can see the companies that go solo on die shrinkage have trouble developing because of the large capital investments needed. Then, is there a possibility between a partnership between TSMC and Intel?
Old 08-26-2009, 02:33 PM
2^10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka47 View Post
Anyhow its misc technlogy here so it's irrelevant wheather LHC will bring progress to todays comuper's . I'd rahther say alternative computing e.g. quantum , optic computing or something else.
Yes sure. I don't dispute any of this claims.