640k who needs more?

kalelovil is on a distinguished road
Default Radeon HD7700 series

Reviews are out:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5541/a...edition-review
http://techreport.com/articles.x/22473
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...mark,3135.html
http://pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Ca...rde-GPU-Review

A respectable GPU considering its mix of features, performance and likely cost to manufacture; but as a retail product the HD7770 is overpriced by ~US$40.
At its current price it slots in above factory overclocked HD 6850s and GTX 460s, and is unsurprisingly a disappointment compared to them in pure performance/dollar.

Last edited by kalelovil; 02-15-2012 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:17 AM
640k who needs more?

sdlvx is on a distinguished road

So, what's the deal with AMD's pricing. Are 28nm wafers from TSMC expensive? Or is AMD just ripping people off? Is there some way to get the price that AMD is paying per wafer and compare that to 40nm?

I'm almost thinking AMD is spending more money on 28nm to get a head start and NV is just waiting until the prices for 28nm comes down. I can't imagine AMD gouging people on purpose. They've worked really hard to create an image of having a good value and to throw that away is foolish.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:29 AM
640k who needs more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlvx View Post
I'm almost thinking AMD is spending more money on 28nm to get a head start and NV is just waiting until the prices for 28nm comes down. I can't imagine AMD gouging people on purpose. They've worked really hard to create an image of having a good value and to throw that away is foolish.
It's not exactly new to the 7000 series, the MSRPs of the HD64xx/65xx/66xx cards were poorly matched to the retail pricing of equivalent cards on their release as well.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:30 AM
2^10

Guild is on a distinguished road

It's a simple matter of demand/supply. One look thru Newegg shows half of 7950s and 7970s are out of stock. So even with inflated prices demand is still exceeding supply. AMD were foolish with 5800, they priced their stuff too low and pricing soon increased by ~$50. Even then they struggled to meet demand for months...

Let's look at 7770, it's got a tiny die, small PCB and the 7750 has a tiny heatsink. AMD can afford to sell a 7770 at $99 profitably and given time and competition it will definitely come down to that level. Today, it simply doesn't make sense... Supply isn't there yet, there's substantial 6800 inventory unsold and there's no competition from NV in this segment till at least Q3. Same happened with 5770 which was slower than 4890 for similar price if we just talk about raw performance. To match demand/supply, 7770 is probably priced right. Yes... it is overpriced in terms of raw performance but there's plenty of potential in terms of massively lower power consumption, new GCN features and a new branding - and these things are much more appealing to OEMs and casual customers, the type that dominates this market. So I am sure it will fly off the shelves. Once the supply ramps up, it will drop in prices.

Last edited by Guild; 02-15-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:38 AM
2^11

TakeANumber will become famous soon enoughTakeANumber will become famous soon enough

The impressive thing to me about the 7750 is that it can run on bus-only power, lagging behind the 5770 by only a tiny bit. Previously, that characteristic only applied to the 4/5/6-670's and lower cards, for nowhere that level of performance. It's an attractive feature for casual users/gamers, especially once the price comes down.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:40 AM
2^10

Guild is on a distinguished road

It's a huge thing for OEMs and especially HTPC owners. Surely low-profile 7750s will follow. $109 is a decent price too.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:44 AM
itanic

zomg is on a distinguished road

so, is 7770 better then 6850 ? it costs $10-20 more and uses 10% less power

Last edited by zomg; 02-15-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:45 AM
itanic

Sertorius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlvx View Post
So, what's the deal with AMD's pricing. Are 28nm wafers from TSMC expensive? Or is AMD just ripping people off? Is there some way to get the price that AMD is paying per wafer and compare that to 40nm?

Bwhahahahaaha! For F's sake their a corporation just like Nvidia! What do you expect?

But even I'm shocked on just how BRAZEN current AMD corporate is with these recent string of mishaps. It's as if they WANT to lose consumer mindshare and compete directly with the Green Goblin.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:58 AM
640k who needs more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sertorius View Post
But even I'm shocked on just how BRAZEN current AMD corporate is with these recent string of mishaps. It's as if they WANT to lose consumer mindshare and compete directly with the Green Goblin.
They're a corporation like any other. I doubt they care much about the small subset of their market which are hardware enthusiasts like us (as a whole; there are certainly individuals inside AMD who are good at liaising with the community).
The major target for cards like the HD7700 series is the OEM sector, and retail pricing tells us nothing directly about how AMD is presenting these cards to OEMs and their success there.

Last edited by kalelovil; 02-15-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:18 AM
2^11

James will become famous soon enough

Not impressed. Surely a shrunk Juniper would have blown the pants of this POS.

Tags
amd