SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > GPUs

GPUs Talk about graphics, cards, chips and technologies

Old 02-15-2012, 09:31 AM
8-bit overflow

eRacer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHnoNotaFinrand View Post
640 cu in a 10 cu array sounds pretty good for when trinity successor roles out on 28nm don't you think?
Positioning this product to xfire with the top end trinity successor even if its rebranded into the 8670 series sounds plausible right?
The small jump from 32-nm Trinity to 28-nm makes it unlikely that Steamroller would have such a high stream processor count.

Primary System: Athlon II X4 635 - Radeon HD 5770
Secondary System: Core 2 Duo E6850 - GeForce GTX 460
Old 02-15-2012, 09:33 AM
8-bit overflow

Medallish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touche View Post
Wow, pro AMD fog is strong in these forums, and I am fond of AMD myself. These cards have terrible price/performance, and 79xx's is meh at best. Kepler really can't come soon enough.
Yeah with 2/3 of the posts complaining about the 77xx it sure is "strong"

Considering this is a tech site, looking at achievements that doesn't matter to many other people is part of what we do, so yeah the small die, 128bit memory and still decent performance is pretty sweet.
There is one thing I feel people haven't pointed out enough is not only does this card scale like insane in crossfire, but that appearently 2x640 shader GPU's can keep up with the 2048 shader Tahiti. Well almost, some of the BF3 tests you see it starts falling a lot once you push the resolution, which personally I think is a driver issue, suggesting that despite it being crossfire it's still limited to 1 gb of memory, but who knows I might be wrong on that, in any case the scaling is quite impressive, and I imagine we soon will see somebody work on a dual GPU version of the card, which could possibly be priced lower than the 7970.

Now to my opinion of the product, would I rather see this as the next generation 76xx, obviously, the TDP fits that category(imo) and yeah it would be an awesome push for a lot more performance across the board, but what I'd want isn't always a good market decision, and despite my reservations the 7750 does rub me the right way, sort of how the 7600GT did back in the day, it's a competent card, it has a pretty high price, but it will also give you good performance without tearing out your power socket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vain View Post
From my personal browsing experience, everyone is well endowed.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:33 AM
2^10

Guild is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHnoNotaFinrand View Post
640 cu in a 10 cu array sounds pretty good for when trinity successor roles out on 28nm don't you think?
Positioning this product to xfire with the top end trinity successor even if its rebranded into the 8670 series sounds plausible right?
Kaveri is 8CU / 512 SP in 2013. Similar to 7750 then but obviously lower bandwidth. But in 2014 I think we could expect DDR4 + 10 CU.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:04 AM
itanic

Tatti is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCO View Post
7770 is a bit expensive, but AMD wants to sell first their old cards and inventory, nothing new, it's like the Groundhog Day, but some enthusiast still don't get the picture.
I think everyone gets the picture. It's just that while what you wrote is true (about the old inventory) it doesn't make the prices more appealing.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:25 AM
itanic

LordEC911 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatti View Post
I think everyone gets the picture. It's just that while what you wrote is true (about the old inventory) it doesn't make the prices more appealing.
Then wait a month or two for prices to settle. Let AIBs roll out their cost-effective cards and eventually $20-30MIR.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:52 AM
2^10

DCO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Appealing or not(I doubt they would buy this card and they could already have a 6850 if it is more appealing) it's the same old story, and we can see it with CPUs, GPUs, cars, etc.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:57 AM
8-bit overflow

Rottis is on a distinguished road

Must agree that my post sounds too pro AMD.

I'm trying to looking from whole markets and companies point of view.
AMD was doing badly when keeping price low past few generations. Now they are not and they are taking prices up.
I think that's intentional tactics. APUs will be their forte against both Intel and NVidia, not discreet cards. They are playing where they are strong.

NVidia is not in great position by any means, they would love to have volume parts and will be forced to compete in market with shrinking discreet volume.

What I see happening here is AMD playing out their timing.
They need cash. They need to make APUs look great. They need to be ready to compete with whatever NVidia can throw.
They made a cheap to produce good enough part. They can go low on price if must.

And this time around there doesn't seem to be any slack (Fermi) from NVidia part.
All we have heard about Kepler and associated seems to be good and going well.
I'm not big fan of PhysX and dirty tricks tho, but that's not going to play any bigger part here than it has before.

Just for giggles, lets see if things go this way.
1. AMD uses it's current position to flush inventories of last generation cards
2. AMD gets more OEM presence with APUs and 77xx (sold with Intel platforms as well)
3. NVidia comes out with competitive product in few months
4. Fierce competition ensues and prices go down sharply all around

I have no idea who will win this round, but it sounds like all sides are on track here, even Intel will be in game (drivers be ************ed).
Old 02-15-2012, 11:07 AM
itanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
Then wait a month or two for prices to settle. Let AIBs roll out their cost-effective cards and eventually $20-30MIR.
Yes, the prices will come down. Untill then (and while supplies last) 6850/6870 is a better choice.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:13 AM
itanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCO View Post
Appealing or not(I doubt they would buy this card and they could already have a 6850 if it is more appealing) it's the same old story, and we can see it with CPUs, GPUs, cars, etc.
Naturally. People don't like to pay more and get less in return.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:34 AM
2^10

DCO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Naturally. People don't like to pay more and get less in return.
Are you sure?
Those people usually buy smaller chips without memory, PCB, cables, games or whatever to Intel (& AMD) and pay more with their mouth sealed.

Tags
amd