SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > CPUs

CPUs Talk about processors and related technology

Old 04-26-2012, 10:41 AM
8-bit overflow

Medallish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoubleb View Post
I really want to see and official table from AMD now... this is getting really confusing. I understood the "old" E/C/A system (not saying i agreed with everything, but i could follow), but once you start to do dual core as A10, it becomes a mess. I think i need to see a table of all the Trinity models to understand their naming scheme...
There's a Dual core A10? But yeah the naming scheme is confusing, with AMD I only know it pretty well because I keep myself up to date with them, what I don't get is, can't they set a standard that's future proof.. and Logical? I remember people being confused by AMD's Performance Rating with Athlon CPU's(Like 1600+ - 3200+) atleast there was a point with them, this current thing on both sides is just a mess :P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vain View Post
From my personal browsing experience, everyone is well endowed.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Copper will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielVucetic View Post
I have a HP Pavillion G6-2020AU laptop with a AMD Trinity based APU what benchmarks would you like me to run.

Im in Australia and wont be able to do them till tomorrow morning at around 9:00 and they will be on a fresh install of Windows 7.

edit: I have attached a gpuz and cpuz screenshot

edit: grammer
Please try posting a picture of the full laptop itself, loaded with the S|A homepage and please handsign your forum nic. on paper laid on the keyboard.

(not saying there aren't some lappies floating, just want proof first before I lock down the thread)
Old 04-26-2012, 11:19 AM
640k who needs more?

vain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medallish View Post
There's a Dual core A10? But yeah the naming scheme is confusing, with AMD I only know it pretty well because I keep myself up to date with them, what I don't get is, can't they set a standard that's future proof.. and Logical? I remember people being confused by AMD's Performance Rating with Athlon CPU's(Like 1600+ - 3200+) atleast there was a point with them, this current thing on both sides is just a mess :P.
Think he means 2 module, with the 2 module having 4 "cores".

The "cores" part being open for debate, which I doubt anyone wants to get into.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:41 AM
8-bit overflow

Kedas is on a distinguished road

Just some A6-4400M general info:
http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2...HP_laptop.html
Old 04-26-2012, 11:49 AM
8-bit overflow

Medallish is on a distinguished road

How do they run Turbo on a one module "CPU" The entire CPU will just burst to 3.0GHz every now and then?

Vain Oh god I hear you on that debating issue, it just seemed odd he pointed specifically to the A10, I mean if you do think that 1 Module = 1 core, then a bigger issue would be "why are all these just single and Dual cores?" :P.

Btw. from what I can see the 17W chip will be an A6, while there will be a 2xmodule A10 @ 25W which will be the A10 ULV.
Quote:
From my personal browsing experience, everyone is well endowed.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:17 PM
2^10

fatty2nd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How do they run Turbo on a one module "CPU" The entire CPU will just burst to 3.0GHz every now and then?

Vain Oh god I hear you on that debating issue, it just seemed odd he pointed specifically to the A10, I mean if you do think that 1 Module = 1 core, then a bigger issue would be "why are all these just single and Dual cores?" :P.

Btw. from what I can see the 17W chip will be an A6, while there will be a 2xmodule A10 @ 25W which will be the A10 ULV.
IIRC, the turbo on Trinity is shared between the GPU and the CPU, so there will be CPU turbo for when the GPU is sitting there doing nothing.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:20 PM
2^10

fatty2nd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I agree the naming scheme is confusing! They were okay with A4, A6 and A8 IMO, and they could have started out with 1xxx to define the first generation and what model, but instead they have done this shadowing of Intel and trying to one up them in marketing. But now we have A10 as well? And the A10 is actually equivalent to A8 before? It's all very head scratching and none-consumer friendly; but I guess being confusing for the consumer is a good thing in some cases.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:45 PM
i386 bit

mrdoubleb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Think he means 2 module, with the 2 module having 4 "cores".

The "cores" part being open for debate, which I doubt anyone wants to get into.
Well that's the thing... some sites list this APU as 2 core. I know Bulldozer/Piledriver is made up of modules, but either half these sites and webshops don't know what they are talking about (entirely possible), or AMD is mixing 1 module/2 core APUs in the A10 line.

That's why I was saying, I am dying to see an offical list of the Trinity APU family, to understand the naming scheme.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:50 PM
i386 bit

mrdoubleb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty2nd View Post
I agree the naming scheme is confusing! They were okay with A4, A6 and A8 IMO, and they could have started out with 1xxx to define the first generation and what model, but instead they have done this shadowing of Intel and trying to one up them in marketing. But now we have A10 as well? And the A10 is actually equivalent to A8 before? It's all very head scratching and none-consumer friendly; but I guess being confusing for the consumer is a good thing in some cases.
Yeah, when I first heard A10, I thought they will reserve that for the 17W ultrabook thing they are coming out with, as those are probably the highest binned, best quality pieces.

To be honest, though even the A-C-E thing does not make sense. If A is the top of the line, than shouldn't C be the mid range and E the low end, single core? Or the other way around. Either way, if a laymen sees Axxxx, Cxxxx, Exxxx, I think they expect this to be sequential, like with cars. (e.g. Mercedes A class is the smallest... S class is the biggest car).
Old 04-26-2012, 03:01 PM
640k who needs more?

Seronx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoubleb View Post
To be honest, though even the A-C-E thing does not make sense. If A is the top of the line, than shouldn't C be the mid range and E the low end, single core? Or the other way around. Either way, if a laymen sees Axxxx, Cxxxx, Exxxx, I think they expect this to be sequential, like with cars. (e.g. Mercedes A class is the smallest... S class is the biggest car).
A = Accelerated
C = Casual
E = Essential
Z = Zablet? Zmall? Zero? Zit? Zed?

Biggest -> Smallest
(FX) A E C Z

Last edited by Seronx; 04-26-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Include the FX