SemiAccurate Forums  

Go Back   SemiAccurate Forums > Main Category > Finance, Legal, Policy

Finance, Legal, Policy that kind of stuff goes here

Old 07-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Administrator

charlie has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
I was very vocal about that at the time. 1 or 1.25 billion dollars compensation in a muti-billion dollar duopoly market is pathetically low money for the side that has 80+% of sales due to unlawful trading behaviour. Add the inflationary pressure that the dollar has been suffering against pretty much all other currencies in the world, and it's blatantly clear that some people high up at AMD preferred to get some money in their own pockets at the expense of killing the company than to do a good job arguing why the money they should have been paid should be AT LEAST 10 times more.
Are you factoring in the royalty payments that AMD no longer has to pay too?

-Charlie
Old 07-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Administrator

charlie has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Charlie, did you see the following comment under the article.

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/07/10/a...#comment-26352

It refers to the blog post by Phil Hughes
http://blogs.amd.com/fusion/2012/04/19/amd-“trinity”-and-“brazos-2-0”-heading-your-way/

Clearly AMD started shipping both Brazos 2 as well as Trinity in first Quarter 2012 to the OEMs. d

I already found it odd and expressed my displeasure when in Computex 2012, where virtually everydthing x86 as well as Windows 8 related was Intel only with a few AMD laptops.

And then they lose the revenue forecast by 11%.
I am looking in to the whole situation, and I have to be really careful about what I say so I don't burn people. That said, if I can, and when I can, I will write it up. What I have found so far has absolutely zero to do with the current 'common wisdom' on the subject though.

-Charlie
Old 07-14-2012, 03:29 AM
8-bit overflow

Rigol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidiot View Post
If you want to find the culprit for AMD's missed sales, you have to find elsewhere. Macro environment isn't sufficiently bad to explain a 11% decrease in sales.
glad you wrote that
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100708VL204.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
Name the players who have a mobile (phone/tablet) ARM division. Other than Qualcomm and Samsung, I can't think of one.
+texasinstruments /omap/ anybody else too small to bother
Quote:
It did won, I'm not arguing that. What I did argue is that AMD reverse engineered 386 and 486.
Both companies play dirty
makes me think how 8085 family was r-engied around world..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guild View Post
It is amusing how Think Different became iSlave at some point.

Last edited by Rigol; 07-14-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:53 AM
2^10

laurent will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by apu4life View Post
Isn't Seekingalpha some pro-Intel site? Just look how many articles they write each week to state how great Intel stock is.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:25 AM
itanic

HighTech4US is on a distinguished road

Some of the problems in the last quarter seem to be continuing into the current one.

Channel stuffing has resulted in high inventory levels of unsold Llano processors.

Quote:
AMD's previous-generation Llano processor's high inventory levels which need to be digested are reportedly one of the reasons that AMD decided to delay the launch of Trinity.
Also the Desktop Trinity is said to have design issues that have pushed the release date from August to October.

Quote:
AMD has reportedly postponed the launch of its Trinity processors for desktop platforms from August to October in order to make some adjustments to the processors' designs. Downstream motherboard makers are also rushing to make adjustments to their new motherboard projects
And instead of a fast switch to Trinity AMD is extending the older AM3 products from mid-2012 to Q2-2013.

Quote:
Meanwhile, AMD originally planned to fully replace AM3-based processors with its FM1-based processors, but has recently adjusted its roadmap and changed the phase-out schedule of AM3-based processors from mid-2012 to the second quarter of 2013, while the processor series will account for 30% of AMD's total desktop processor shipments, the sources noted.
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120713PD203.html

Sure looks like Desktop Trinity is having some serious problems.

Last edited by HighTech4US; 07-14-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:38 AM
2^10

nvidiot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurent View Post
Isn't Seekingalpha some pro-Intel site? Just look how many articles they write each week to state how great Intel stock is.
The world against AMD part 58309580984.

AMD stock is a rollercoaster, it's volatile (beta over 2(!)), the company cannot pay dividends at all, is not offering stellar results and has a flair for missing big on its own projections on both financial and product performance (Barcelona "40% better than Intel chips", Bulldozer "same IPC than Stars". The market will remember). Intel is simply the opposite of AMD on those points, that's why it gets praised. and with a tough environment coming ahead, why would you bet big on AMD? What's the company offering to get investors "excited" about it?

Would you put YOUR money in AMD's stock? Better, would you put your retirement money on AMD's stock? If you think that the entire market is wrong and there is a lot of value in AMD do like Pablo and others here and buy AMD. Pablo if I remember correctly isn't very happy about both the stock and company though...

Sites like seeking alpha and Trefis are just gossip magazines. They try to bring attention to things happening right now, they do that to make upswings and downswings bigger than they are. People that forecast correctly the market movement will make money already, people who don't will get panicked and will buy/sell increasing the movements.

Take the article you brought for example. It's nothing short of dishonesty to write an article about AMD's processor and GPU business and then finish with a quote about Nvidia gobbling up market share in markets that AMD is not even in. You can bet someone with relationships to that site is betting heavily on Nvidia.

To sum up, the financial market isn't stuck on that fanboy dichotomy of pro-Intel or pro-AMD. The financial market sees AMD for what it is, and quite frankly, there isn't much to praise about the company.

Last edited by nvidiot; 07-14-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:00 AM
8-bit overflow

ThirdEye is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
Are you factoring in the royalty payments that AMD no longer has to pay too?

-Charlie
Can you clarify? What royalty payments?
In the AMD vs. Intel suit in the 90s, the court said that AMD need not make any royalty payments and Intel must pay AMD 10 M USD.

Since then AMD has been a licensee of Intel x86 ISA regularly in 10 year or 5 year frame. Was royalty something like a permission fee use x86 ISA?

2001-2011 was the last 10 year agreement. But by 5th year, didn't AMD license AMD64 ISA to Intel? So didn't Intel now turn to a licensee? So why did AMD not insist on a reverse royalty payment for using x86-64 ISA as MS forbade Intel's own 64 bit x86 extensions? If so it was a massive fail on AMD's management.

Copper wants to stay on topic so I will stop further.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:07 PM
itanic

HighTech4US is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The world against AMD part 58309580984.

Take the article you brought for example. It's nothing short of dishonesty to write an article about AMD's processor and GPU business and then finish with a quote about Nvidia gobbling up market share in markets that AMD is not even in.
No they mention it because Nvidia and other ARM players are in Tablets. And tablet buyers are not purchasing from AMD.

Quote:
You can bet someone with relationships to that site is betting heavily on Nvidia.
Did you not read the quote in the article at the bottom:

Quote:
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.
Quote:
To sum up, the financial market isn't stuck on that fanboy dichotomy of pro-Intel or pro-AMD. The financial market sees AMD for what it is, and quite frankly, there isn't much to praise about the company.
I Agree
Old 07-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Administrator

GrandmaWithAnAxe is on a distinguished road

Alright, stop the arguments on which site being pro-Intel/pro-AMD, also please refrain from further trolling.
It's unrelated to the subject matter.

One more such opinion and the thread is closed. No further warnings.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:36 PM
2^10

nvidiot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTech4US View Post
No they mention it because Nvidia and other ARM players are in Tablets. And tablet buyers are not purchasing from AMD.
They can't even if they wanted, so what is the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTech4US View Post
Did you not read the quote in the article at the bottom:
I did read, and I did not say anything about the author. What I did say here was about the websites such as seeking alpha, trefis, marketwatch and others.