IT LOOKS LIKE the AMD 890 based motherboards are starting to break cover. This particular one is the mid-range Asus M4A89GTD Pro.
Next gen integrated goodness
There’s not much to say about this one. It has all the boring old specs, two 16x PCIe2 slots, DDR3-1800 support up to 16GB, HT3@5200MT/s, power and BIOS reset switches, six SATA3 ports plus one eSATA, and at least 12 USB3 ports. If that isn’t enough, it also has a PCIe2 1x and 4x slot just in case you want a real RAID card.
This particular example has some sideport memory, but how much is an open question. For some reason, Asus wouldn’t talk about the specs of this board, something about an NDA and other things that get people in trouble.
Expect a ton of 890 based boards to launch around CeBIT time, from low to high end. Given the PCIe lane count plus USB3 and SATA3 capabilities, this is going to give the Intel boards some real headaches until it beefs up its native PCIe capabilities.S|A
Latest posts by Charlie Demerjian (see all)
- Intel said something important on their Q4/2020 analyst call - Feb 1, 2021
- AMD launches Ryzen 5000 Mobile APUs - Jan 26, 2021
- AMD’s Genoa gets a little clearer - Jan 25, 2021
- Another Intel outsourcing deal comes to light - Jan 20, 2021
- Qualcomm buys Nuvia for $1.4 Billion - Jan 13, 2021