For those of you waiting for an 8-core ARM Mali GPU, your prayers have been answered in the form of the AMLogic AML8726-M8 SoC. Better yet at Techcon 13 SemiAccurate actually saw one up and running in the wild.
Howdy M8, that’s a mighty big GPU you have there
Not much more to say other than the demo tablet pictured above we saw and played with on the show floor. As the sign says it is a 2GHz quad-core ARM A9 CPU with an 8-core ARM Mali 450 GPU, MP8 if you must use the Queen’s English. As far as we are aware this is the first iteration of the MP8 architecture, something we weren’t really expecting with the advent of the Mali T720 GPU. It just goes to show that area, energy use, and cost can still outweigh bullet points on a sales chart. Isn’t diversity great?S|A
Have you signed up for our newsletter yet?
Did you know that you can access all our past subscription-only articles with a simple Student Membership for 100 USD per year? If you want in-depth analysis and exclusive exclusives, we don’t make the news, we just report it so there is no guarantee when exclusives are added to the Professional level but that’s where you’ll find the deep dive analysis.
Latest posts by Charlie Demerjian (see all)
- HyperX ships it’s 60 millionth enthusiast memory module - Oct 15, 2018
- Bittware/Nallatech water cools 300W of Xilinx FPGA - Oct 12, 2018
- More on Intel’s 10nm process problems - Sep 17, 2018
- Intel puts out another 14nm 2020 server platform - Sep 11, 2018
- Why Can’t Intel Supply Enough 14nm Xeons? - Sep 10, 2018